Stop the Sun Tax
Right now the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) is considering a proposal for charging solar owners to export to the grid – in effect, taxing the sun.
Here's why a sun tax isn't fair:
- Rooftop solar benefits all energy consumers by providing cheap power to the grid and bringing down wholesale power prices.
- Big coal and gas generators don't have to pay for pumping electricity into the network, so why should Aussie solar homes and businesses?
- The network costs of rooftop solar that the tax is to supposed to recoup may be overestimated.
- Solar households should be rewarded for the benefits they provide, especially as feed-in tariffs are dropping.
We're calling on the AEMC to reject proposals that would allow blanket exporting fees to be slapped on solar owners. Sign the petition.
Will you sign?
Dear Prime Minister, State Premiers and Energy Ministers,
The Australian Energy Market Commission is currently considering a proposal for charging solar owners to export to the grid – in effect, taxing the sun.
Currently solar households are not charged when they export power but if these new rules are successful, solar households could be slugged every time they pump clean energy into the grid
This is in spite of the fact that research shows solar owners are producing cheap power for their neighbours and reducing bills in the process. We should be encouraging more households to make the solar switch, not penalising those who have made a smart investment in clean technology.
We're asking you to reject proposals that apply a blanket sun tax and instead:
- Invest in network infrastructure, like community-scale battery storage, so that more homes can invest in rooftop solar.
- Help more renters, people living in apartments and low-income households access cheap solar energy.