Stop the Sun Tax
The Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) have introduced new rules that will allow solar owners to be charged for exporting their clean energy to the grid – in effect, taxing the sun.
Here's why a sun tax isn't fair:
- Rooftop solar benefits all energy consumers by providing cheap power to the grid and bringing down wholesale power prices.
- Big coal and gas generators don't have to pay for pumping electricity into the network, so why should Aussie solar homes and businesses?
- The network costs of rooftop solar that the tax is to supposed to recoup may be overestimated.
- Solar households should be rewarded for the benefits they provide, especially as feed-in tariffs are dropping.
We're calling on the Prime Minister, State Premiers and Energy Ministers to block this unfair change that would allow export fees to be slapped on solar owners. Sign the petition.
Will you sign?
Dear Prime Minister, State Premiers and Energy Ministers,
The Australian Energy Market Commission has ruled that solar owners can now be charged to export to the grid – in effect, taxing the sun.
Under the new rules, solar households and businesses could be slugged every time they pump clean energy into the grid.
This is in spite of the fact that research shows solar owners are producing cheap power for their neighbours and reducing bills in the process. We should be encouraging more households to make the solar switch, not penalising those who have made a smart investment in clean technology.
We're asking you to block this unfair tax on the sun and instead:
- Invest in network infrastructure, like community-scale battery storage, so that more homes can invest in rooftop solar.
- Help more renters, people living in apartments and low-income households access cheap solar energy.