Recharging Regional Victoria
- A strong Fuel Efficiency Standard is a key policy needed to reduce transport emissions and unlock a supply of affordable electric vehicles (EVs) to help tackle the cost of living crisis for all Australians – but regional areas have the most to gain.
- The benefits of a strong Fuel Efficiency Standard will be greater for regional drivers, relative to city drivers, because they typically spend a higher percent of weekly earnings on transport costs due to longer average commutes, higher regional fuel prices and higher rates of car ownership.
- Introducing a Fuel Efficiency Standard of 95 grams CO2/km would save Regional Victorian motorists $720 million in fuel costs over five years.
- A Fuel Efficiency Standard will turbocharge the growth of electric vehicles and could see EV registrations in Regional Victoria grow from 509 in 2020 to more than 59,483 in five years.
- The reduction in transport emissions from a strong Fuel Efficiency Standard will improve air quality and health outcomes for Regional Victoria – which has a high rate of asthma and lung conditions compared to the national average.
- Failing to introduce a strong Standard will lock Regional Victoria into spiralling fuel costs, limit vehicle choice for consumers, and see harmful transport emissions continue to rise.