- A strong Fuel Efficiency Standard is a key policy needed to reduce transport emissions and unlock a supply of affordable electric vehicles (EVs) to help tackle the cost of living crisis for all Australians – but regions like North West New South Wales (NSW) have the most to gain.
- The benefits of a strong Fuel Efficiency Standard will be greater for regional drivers, relative to city drivers, because they typically spend a higher percent of weekly earnings on transport costs due to longer average commutes, higher regional fuel prices and higher rates of car ownership.
- Introducing a Fuel Efficiency Standard of 95 grams CO2/km would save North West NSW motorists $71 million in fuel costs over five years.
- A Fuel Efficiency Standard will turbocharge the growth of electric vehicles and could see EV registrations in North West NSW grow from 22 in 2020 to more than 5705 in five years.
- The reduction in transport emissions from a strong Fuel Efficiency Standard will improve air quality and health outcomes for North West NSW – a region with a high rate of asthma and lung conditions compared to the national average.
- Failing to introduce a strong Standard will lock regions like North West NSW into spiralling fuel costs, limit vehicle choice for consumers, and see harmful transport emissions continue to rise.