Electric Vehicle Petition
Australia's transport emissions are rising rapidly, but we're lagging behind the rest of the world on electric vehicles because of a lack of federal or state policies to make them more affordable and accessible for everyone.
To make matters worse, Victoria has introduced a premature EV tax* that will make it even harder to afford a cleaner car, and other states may soon follow their lead.
Australia has led the world on rooftop solar, and we have the opportunity to lead the way on electric vehicles. But we need ambitious EV policies now, or Aussies will get left in the dust.
Sign the petition now to call on State and Federal Governments to get Australia on the road to clean transport.
*Want to know more about the EV tax and why it's bad news? Read our blog post here.
Will you sign?
Dear State and Federal Energy and Transport Ministers,
Electric vehicles (EVs) are the future: they can run on clean solar and wind energy, cut rapidly rising transport emissions, and are cheaper to run and maintain.
But Australia is still lagging behind the rest of the world on EV uptake, and more needs to be done to make cleaner cars more affordable and accessible for everyone.
We ask that you support ambitious policies to get more Australians in the driver’s seat of an electric vehicle, such as:
- Comprehensive EV strategies, including a target for 100% of new car sales to be electric by 2030
- Deferring road user charges until EV uptake reaches 50%
- Providing upfront subsidies to make the purchase costs of EVs on par with ICE vehicles
- Waiving motor vehicle duty and registration fees
- Investment to fill gaps in public and private charging infrastructure, and supporting homes and businesses to be EV ready
Introducing these policies will help grow a thriving EV industry that benefits everyone, and put Australia on the road to being a world leader in clean transport.