The Australian Local Power Agency (ALPA) Bill has been proposed to create a new agency that supports community-led energy projects and helps boost local ownership and economic development in regional areas. The Bill is currently being reviewed by a parliamentary committee and we need as many people as possible to make submissions in support of community-led power.
Use the form below to make your submission. Here are some suggested talking points:
- Renewable energy will continue to grow rapidly in the coming years to replace gas and coal, and most developments are happening in regional areas.
The Australian Local Power Agency Bill will make sure these communities aren’t left behind and can reap the benefits of community-led renewable projects, including:
- Huge economic boost for regional areas.
- Unlocking the benefits of clean energy for more people, like renters and apartment-dwellers.
- More support for renewable energy projects where communities are given the opportunity to invest in or own wind and solar projects in their area.
- Empowering communities to reduce and adapt to climate impacts and be more resilient to natural disasters.
- The Government should support ALPA, and ensure it is appropriately funded and consults with First Nations peoples, local communities and the renewable energy industry to be fair and effective.
Please note submissions close at 5pm, Friday, 9th July 2021.