Look what we did on Friday!
We did it!
On Friday, thousands of solar and renewable energy workers, solar owners and supporters rallied at Cabinet Ministers’ offices across the nation, in an unprecedented show of support for the Renewable Energy Target.
From Perth to Hobart, we were there raising our voices and representing the over 80% of Australians who want the Renewable Energy Target to be maintained or expanded.
From Brisbane to Adelaide, at more than a dozen different rallies, we stood together and lifted our voices to call on our politicians not to axe or cut the Target which is creating Aussie jobs and helping so many of us take control of our energy bills by going solar.
In Sydney, the Convoy of Consequence travelled from Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s office in Manly to Treasurer Joe Hockey’s office in North Sydney receiving beeps and shouts of encouragement from passersby along the way. Newcastle had their very own mini wind turbine and Brisbane kept things sizzling with a solar-themed BBQ and a huge turnout!
You can see why the Rally for Renewables was pretty hard to miss. News of our colourful signs and passionate speakers spread throughout media outlets around the country - see the bottom of this post for a list of media hits from the day. You can also see photos from the day on the live blog of the Rally and on the Solar Citizens Facebook page.
The media weren’t the only ones listening. We delivered giant letters to key Cabinet ministers, filled with signatures from workers whose jobs are on the line and ordinary Australians who want to see a renewable-powered future.
Several MPs - including Barnaby Joyce in Tamworth and Ann Sudmalis in Nowra - came out from their electorate offices to speak to us. However, Barnaby Joyce’s comments that he won’t confirm there won’t be changes to the Target*, make it clear we have to keep up the campaign to save solar and renewables.
Thanks for being part of a massive day!
The Solar Citizens team
List of media:
- The Australian - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/rallies-for-renewables-draw-thousands/story-e6frg90f-1227075607039?sv=c8920030764a10a4d9f458c440fc5e85#.VCtLeNVhPmA.twitter
- The Guardian - http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/26/renewable-energy-target-rallies-held-across-australia
- The Daily Telegraph - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/breaking-news/rallies-for-renewables-draw-thousands/story-fnn9c0gv-1227075607039
- The West Australian - https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/national/a/25122097/nationwide-rallies-call-for-ret-to-stay/
- The Newcastle Herald - http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2587833/newcastle-rally-for-renewables/?cs=12
- Prime7 - https://au.prime7.yahoo.com/n2/news/a/-/local/25121157/climate-change-rally-video/
- NBN North West News - http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2014/09/26/community-fears-renewable-energy-target-axe/
- Leader - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/hundreds-rally-at-bentleigh-mps-offices-for-action-on-nations-renewable-energy-target/story-fngnvmhm-1227071530016
- SBS - http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/09/26/protesters-rally-against-proposed-axing-renewable-energy-target
- RenewEconomy - http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/rally-for-renewables-save-solar-campaign-in-pictures-41004
- Bendigo Advertiser - http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2587646/group-rallies-for-renewables-in-bendigo/?cs=80
- Warnambool Standard - http://www.standard.net.au/story/2585905/supporters-rally-for-the-ret-in-hamilton/?cs=12
- Courier Mail - http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/solar-ceo-building-heartshaped-pv-plant-calls-for-some-love-from-govt/story-fnihsps3-1227071609902
- Warnambool Standard - http://www.standard.net.au/story/2588342/moyne-mayor-james-purcell-says-ret-is-vital/?cs=4162
- Manly Daily - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/community-and-industry-come-together-to-fight-to-keep-the-renewable-energy-target/story-fngr8hax-1227071849256
- Shoalhaven Times - http://www.2st.com.au/news/shoalhaven-news/80823-peaceful-protestors-want-answers-on-renewable-energy
- Coffs Coast Advocate - http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/news/renewable-energy-target-supporters-march-cowper-mp/2401463/
- Hobart Mercury - http://themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/protesters-put-pressure-on-pollies-to-retain-renewable-energy-target/story-fnj4f7k1-1227071802214
- The Armidale Express - http://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/story/2594687/joyce-targeted-over-renewable-energy-target/